Annual plans and projects/2012-2013
Based on its Strategy, Wikimedia of Serbia has completed the Annual Plan of Activities, which will be realized in the period from July 2012 to July 2013. The aim of this Plan is to define the primary fields of action of WMRS in the following 12 months. The program can be divided in several groups:
Wikimedia Serbia capacity building
Starting the office
According to the strategic plan of development, Wikimedia Serbia is planning to open its office for internal and external activities. This intent is justified by the fact that there is a requirement for a central place for administrative and bureaucratic work, and also by the wish and interest of the public, potential partners and members to have information from the first hand.
Due to legal obligations, it's necessary to have a physical address. At this moment, we are registered at the apartment of one of our members, but we don't have access to it. This creates some obstacles and lateness in post delivery, and also problems in communication with authorities and local institution and partners.
To satisfy the needs and adequately respond to the obligations, Wikimedia Serbia plans to open an office.
By owning an office, WMRS will solve the problems of archiving documentation and access to the same; the work quality of the organization will improve and members and partners and will be able to visit our premises daily.
The future office will be the working place for Secretary General, his Assistant and Board members, and it will serve as a place where everybody can get information about WMRS.
The first employee - Secretary General
First employee will be Secretary General, and he will do the tasks specified by the Bylaws and policies. Beside that, Secretary General will provide basic information about the organization and current projects to current and potential members.
Additional worker in office - Assistant
Aim and purpose of hiring
Due to the wishes and aims of Wikimedia Serbia office to fulfill its existence and expectations, we think that hiring another employee -- a part-time assistant -- is important for undisturbed and full time functioning of the office. The goal and the prime task of the assistant would be helping the Secretary General. Also, during Secretary General’s absence (business duty, business trip, sick leave or vacation), it is very important to ensure basic office functioning. That means that the office needs to be open for all WMRS members, interested people, state services and project managers and board members in order to access all documents and data they need.
Improving the quality of the content of Wikipedia and its sister projects
- Wikipedia competition
- WMRS intends to organize two or three competitions on Wikipedia with the aim of improving quality and quantity of the project.
- Wiki loves monuments
- Organization of local WLM 2012 competition.
- Wiki expedition
- Wiki expedition is a pilot project that has several aims: a) promotion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects; b) promotion of Wikimedia Serbia; c) attracting new users and cooperators for Wikimedia projects, and also new WMRS members; d) increasing of quality and quantity of Wikimedia projects' content. Expedition will include two parts: a) collecting photos of attractions; b) promoting the projects with local communities.
- Read Wikipedia
- In cooperation with AlfaNum company, we intend to launch a pilot project called "Read Wikipedia". The project is reflected in the creation of audio versions of about 15 featured Serbian Wikipedia articles with the help of voice synthesis technology.
Support for networking and increasing the free content on Wikimedia projects
Wikimedia Serbia will continue its tradition of successful networking with organizations and institutions to improve and increase content on Wikimedia projects, but also their capacity. One way of networking would be enabled through GLAM programs and cooperation with universities, high schools and elementary schools.
- Site in Serbian language
- We will work with our partners, continue to support and develop the website glam.wikimedia.org as a place for online texts of models of cooperation and success stories. For the first three months, the site got more than 90 articles, mostly translations from the wiki-site glam.org. For the first three months, the site had nearly 20,000 hits.
- Wikipedian in Residence
- We will support the program Wikipedian in Residence. The location and duration of work will depend on the outcome of negotiations with the institutions.
- GLAM-team will focus its activities in the following year on the implementation of specific projects with GLAM institutions. Among these activities, there is the "QRpedia Project" - installation of QR codes in GLAM institutions.
- We will work with our partners to organize several smaller events in order to promote successfully completed projects.
The program of cooperation with educational institutions
- Wikipedia in schools
- "Wiki Gymnasium" is a project of working with high school students who are taught and trained to work and write in Wikipedia through seminal papers in certain subjects on given topics. The pilot project was held at 7th Belgrade Gymnasium with one class which worked on geography subjects. - Collaboration with universities has been ongoing for a few years (Faculty of Organization Sciences, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Mathematics), where we work on training students to write articles on Wikipedia, in cooperation with professors and assistants. The goal is to write term papers on given topics within some of the courses.
- Wikinews in schools
- Cooperation with the Faculty of Media and Communications (FMC) and media archive Ebart and continuation of the program "Wikinews on FMC." The program includes lectures and working with journalism students throughout the school year.
- CC licenses and the Knowledge Society
- Aimed on building knowledge society and supporting open data, open science and open educational issues. Started on April 26, World Intellectual Property Day in the form of research and dialog with government institutions regarding PSI, opening data, cultural heritage archives, scientific and educational resources. These debates took place at the National Library of Serbia and the paper is available here (for version in English, cf page 8). The plan is to assist the government in the Creative Commons standards implementation as much as possible.
The aim of this project is to support the knowledge society in Serbia by establishing the platform to provide Intellectual Property Rights details relevant for creating, using and re-using educational, scientific, artistic and media contents. These details are related on IP law terms and services including free/open licenses, open education resources and wiki technologies and projects' explanations. That will be a useful, comprehensive and unique IP database in Serbia in Serbian, a first and at present the one of a kind.
We believe that the project will be constant, useful and accessible support in national and international intellectual interaction. Making the proposed database will raise the targeted community awareness of current legal terms and conditions and open content/source in particular, as well as initiatives of creative potentials and their influences in local and global sharing or improving. The target community is the Serbian intellectual community who are not able to access the relevant IP information at the same time on the same place.
Note: This project started in April last year, and until now, the following activities have been undertaken:
- legal/IT research of the web database of the crucial national governmental, scientific, cultural and national institutions
- dialog with institutions (two debates with the crucial national governmental, scientific, cultural and national institutions) about open licensing
- bilingual (Serbian-English) legal research publishing "Srbija i Drustvo znanja/Serbia and Knowledge Society"
- legal analysis of the directions for the governmental websites establishing and licensing produced by Digital Agenda of the Republic of Serbia and this legal analysis results publishing in the form of public statement or participating in the public debate regarding these directions organized by Digital Agenda of the Republic of Serbia.
Regional and international cooperation
Regional and international cooperation is important for strengthening relationships with other chapters and similar organizations. It also serves to promote our own projects, and share the ideas and problems between chapters.
As a part of regional and international cooperations, Wikimedia Serbia intends to participate in the following events:
- GLAM Camp (one delegate)
- Chapters Conference
- Wikimania (two delegates)
PR and Media Communications
Realizing the importance of media in the realization of its own objectives, mission and vision, Wikimedia Serbia, as a separate strategic goal, led the development of the Communication Strategy which defines a strategy of communication and public relations.
Strategy can be found here.
|Program||Project||Description||Amount in €|
|Educational programs||Wikipedia in Schools||Lectures and workshops on faculties and in secondary schools. Continuation of projects regarding Seminal papers on Wikipedia and Wiki Gymnasium. Starting the Wiki High School project. The project encompasses more than 1200 pupils||1,150.00|
|Wikinews in schools||Continuation of work with journalism students. Project consists of a series of lectures and workshops at the faculty, where students can learn about Wikimedia projects and use them for their work. They also edit Wikinews in Serbian language.||600.00|
|Work with marginalized groups||Pilot project in cooperation with one of Belgrade's safe houses with the goal of spreading free knowledge and promotion of Wikipedia as a platform for free knowledge. The project will consist of workshops and training sessions for a children pedagogue regarding the use of Wikipedia in work with children.||1,700.00|
|Improving the quality of Wikimedia projects and recruitment of new users|
|Wiki Expedition||The collection of free photo attractions in Serbia and events with local community. Touring of places in Serbia, with outreach events and lectures about Wikipedia, as well as photographing local sites of interest.||1,500.00|
|Wiki Loves Monuments||Organizing a local WLM event||2,760.00|
|Contests on Wikipedia||Organizing two large contests on Wikipedia.||1,200,00|
|Read Wikipedia||Audio recording of the 20 best articles on Wikipedia||300.00|
|QRcodes - Digital Belgrade||Project aimed for popularizing of this service and the use of QR codes and Wikipedia.||1,000.00|
|GLAM Serbia||Continuation of the GLAM project in Serbia||5,520.50|
|CC licenses and the Knowledge Society||Series of lectures and workshops aimed at institutions and governmental agencies to promote the free licenses||N/A|
|CEE 2011||Organizing the CEE conference in Belgrade||7,200.00|
|Program||Project||Description||Amount in €|
|Capacity development||Development and strengthening of Wikimedia community outside of Belgrade||Six month long program of workshops and debates in Novi Sad||1,730.00|
Total budget breakdown and sources of funding
the 1st source in €
the 2nd source in €
|Total in €|
|1||Wikipedia in Schools||WMF||-||1,150.00||-||1,150.00|
|2||Wikinews in schools||WMF||-||600.00||-||600.00|
|3||Work with marginalized groups||WMF||Others||700.00||1,000.00||1,700.00|
|5||Wiki Loves Monuments||WMF||Others||2,480.00||280.00||2,760.00|
|6||Contests on Wikipedia||WMF||Others||1,200.00||-||1,200.00|
|8||QRcodes - Digital Belgrade||WMF||Others||-||1,000.00||1,000.00|